Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jill, I found my book swap book!

I am not one to persuade someone to read a book that I liked. Heck I rarely read a book myself. I don't even suggest movies to watch because it can be so subjective. I guess I don't want a stamp put upon me by someone who disliked one of my suggestions. As to the reason why I rarely read? I have never been a reader because I don't want to start investing time and emotion to something that will leave me feeling flat. Maybe it is also the laziness in me. A movie I can get through in two hours and be done with it. If I found a good book then I can not put it down and everything around me suffers and then I feel guilty...blah blah blah. I also prefer reading non fiction. Don't get me wrong I love Anne of Green Gables...the movie. I tried reading it in high school and about died with all the flowery language and I just wanted her to get on with it.
I had heard a little about Randy Pausch and I was drawn in for some reason. I knew his book would be released on tuesday and decided to look at it and see if I might like it. It was on sale at Target so I bought it. You know how sometimes the anticipation of something can be so exciting that you almost don't want it to begin? As soon as you begin the clock starts ticking and the end is eventual. Take for instance my family's trip to Walt Disney World in two weeks. We have been talking, and planning and fanticizing for so long. As soon as our plane takes off the ground the clock is ticking and our trip will be over before we know it. I liken this to the book. I was so excited to read it, that I didn't for a whole day because the anticipation of reading it was just as thrilling. I have paced myself at a few chapters a day and I can honestly recommend it. I can tell that if I went to Carnegie Mellon University he would have been a favorite professor. If we were in the same social circle, he would have been a friend. I share this with you because I would have wanted it shared with me.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I'll fight for this book at the swap....I saw his lecture online and I'm sure I'd love the book as well. On another note, I have lots of non-fiction books I'd love to recommend should you decide to take on another one anytime soon.